Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, and Arpeggios (PDF)
Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, and Arpeggios
Notation Only with Fingering, String Numbers, and Positions.
This item is a PDF Download. 122 Pages. 2019 Edition.
By Bradford Werner
Includes: Practice Routines, Tips, 100 Open String Exercises, 120 Giuliani Arpeggios, Selected Scales (Major, Minor, 3rds, 6ths, Octaves, 10ths), Slur Exercises, Shifts, Finger Independence, Alignment, Stretch, Barre, Tremolo, Common Harmonics, Speed, Relaxation, more. View the Table of Contents
Info: This book focuses on essential exercises for the development of classical guitar technique. All the exercises from the headings of the table of contents progress from easy to advanced in a progressive format. Although this is a book of exercises rather than a method, I have included many helpful tips throughout the book to aid students. As with all my materials, the video lessons are an added educational advantage.
Level: Intended for beginner to early-advanced classical guitar students (approximately RCM Toronto Grade 1-9). As a basic prerequisite students would have completed both Volume One and Two of my beginner method book series or an equivalent. There are a number of exercises in upper positions that include accidentals, therefore, additional reading experience is required if you wish to study the entire book. However, the inclusion of fingering, string numbers, and position marks should make the exercises easy to read and understand (especially if you want the video lessons). The 100 open string exercises should be very accessible to beginners and advanced students alike.
Video Lessons for this Book (YouTube)
- Part 1 - Right Hand Exercises
- Right Hand Open String Exercises with i, m, a (No. 1-19)
- Right Hand Open String Exercises with p, i, m, a (No. 20-35)
- Preparation (Planting) in the Right Hand
- Open String Exercises No. 36-71
- Open String Exercises No. 72-100
- Giuliani's 120 Right Hand Studies Arpeggios
- Part 2 - Left Hand Alignment, Shift, and Scales
- Alignment Exercises for the Left Hand
- Chromatic Scale Exercises
- Variations and Ideas for Practicing Scales
- Open Position Scales Through the Circle of Fifths
- One Octave Moveable Major Scales
- Shift and String Squeak Exercises
- Favourite Two and Three Octave Moveable Scales
- Major Scales with Open String Shifts
- Triadic Arpeggios
- Part 3 - Slurs, Finger Independence, and Stretch
- Slur Exercises (Hammer-ons, Pull-offs)
- Selected Slur Scales
- Left Hand Independence, Alignment, and Stretch
- Selected Major Scales in 3rds, 6ths, Octaves, and 10ths
- Part 4 - Additional Techniques
- Barre Exercises
- Tremolo Exercises
- Basic Rasgueado
- Common Natural and Artificial Harmonics
- Speed and Relaxation
- Videos should be finished this January, links will be added above as I go.
Customer Questions & Answers
- Does this book include TAB? No, it is notation only. Although I think you will find everything very easy to read since it is highly pattern oriented with fingering, string numbers and positions marks. Plus, the open string and arpeggio exercises are super easy to read. If you need TAB try my 20 Favorite Exercises Book.
- How similar is this book to 20 Favorite Exercises? This book has hundreds of exercises and the full extent of what I teach my students when it comes to technique. 20 Favorite Exercises is pretty small but it includes tab which some people will want. Most of the 20 Favorite exercises are included in this book although some are altered.
- When will all the videos be completed? I'm aiming to make all of the lesson videos by the end of January.
- Will there be video lessons for every exercise? I will try to make lesson videos for all the concepts in the book and all the sections of the book. I might not make a video for every single exercise but it will be close to all.