Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, and Arpeggios (PDF)
Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, and Arpeggios
Notation Only with Fingering, String Numbers, and Positions.
This item is a PDF Download. 122 Pages. 2019 Edition.
By Bradford Werner
Includes: Practice Routines, Tips, 100 Open String Exercises, 120 Giuliani Arpeggios, Selected Scales (Major, Minor, 3rds, 6ths, Octaves, 10ths), Slur Exercises, Shifts, Finger Independence, Alignment, Stretch, Barre, Tremolo, Common Harmonics, Speed, Relaxation, more. View the Table of Contents
Info: This book focuses on essential exercises for the development of classical guitar technique. All the exercises from the headings of the table of contents progress from easy to advanced in a progressive format. Although this is a book of exercises rather than a method, I have included many helpful tips throughout the book to aid students. As with all my materials, the video lessons are an added educational advantage.
Level: Intended for beginner to early-advanced classical guitar students (approximately RCM Toronto Grade 1-9). As a basic prerequisite students would have completed both Volume One and Two of my beginner method book series or an equivalent. There are a number of exercises in upper positions that include accidentals, therefore, additional reading experience is required if you wish to study the entire book. However, the inclusion of fingering, string numbers, and position marks should make the exercises easy to read and understand (especially if you watch the video lessons). The 100 open string exercises should be very accessible to beginners and advanced students alike.
Video Lessons for this Book (YouTube)
The lessons below cover multiple exercises in one video but see the indented items for lessons that cover specific exercises and topics in greater detail.
- Technique Routines (Discussions on Time Management)
- Beginner Technique Routine
- Late-Beginner Technique Routine
- Early-Intermediate Technique Routine
- Intermediate Technique Routine
- Late-Intermediate Technique Routine
- Early-Advanced Technique Routine
- Lesson for Part 1 - Right Hand Exercises
- Right Hand Open Strings with i, m, a, No. 1-19 (Page 12-16)
- Skipping Strings, No. 11 (Page 14)
- Right Hand Open Strings with p, i, m, a, No. 20-35 (Page 17-20)
- Preparation (Planting) in the Right Hand (Page 21)
- Open String Exercises, No. 36-71 (Page 22-28)
- Open String Exercises, No. 72-100 (Page 29-32)
- Giuliani's 120 Right Hand Studies Arpeggios (Page 33-53)
- Lessons for Part 2 - Left Hand Alignment, Shift, and Scales
- Alignment Exercises for the Left Hand (Page 54-57)
- Chromatic Scale Exercises (Page 58-60)
- Variations and Ideas for Practicing Scales
- Open Position Scales Through the Circle of Fifths
- One Octave Moveable Major Scales
- Shift and String Squeak Exercises
- Favourite Two and Three Octave Moveable Scales
- Major Scales with Open String Shifts
- Triadic Arpeggios (Page 77-79)
- C Major Triadic Arpeggio (Page 77)
- Lessons for Part 3 - Slurs, Finger Independence, and Stretch
- Slur Exercises (Hammer-ons, Pull-offs) (Page 80-90)
- Selected Slur Scales (Page 91-92)
- Left Hand Independence, Alignment, and Stretch (Page 93-100)
- Major Scales in 3rds, 6ths, Octaves, and 10ths (Page 101-105)
- C Major Scale in 3rds (Page 102)
- Lessons for Part 4 - Additional Techniques
- Barre Exercises
- Tremolo Exercises
- Basic Rasgueado
- Common Natural and Artificial Harmonics
- Speed and Relaxation
Customer Questions & Answers
- Does this book include TAB? No, it is notation only. Although I think you will find everything very easy to read since it is highly pattern oriented with fingering, string numbers and positions marks. Plus, the open string and arpeggio exercises are super easy to read. If you need TAB try my 20 Favorite Exercises Book.
- How similar is this book to 20 Favorite Exercises? This book has hundreds of exercises and the full extent of what I teach my students when it comes to technique. 20 Favorite Exercises is pretty small but it includes tab which some people will want. Most of the 20 Favorite exercises are included in this book although some are altered.
Cover image is just for promotion, the PDF is a text cover.